I lost my hummus mojo about 2 years ago. No matter what I did I couldn’t make a decent hummus. I tried adding red pepper, chili, yogurt, more garlic. Nothing worked. So, last week I started looking for some inspiration and lucky for me I found a great looking recipe in an old copy of Vegetarian Times Magazine. I was so excited to try it.I went out and bought some new Tahini, cooked up a batch of Chick Peas and followed the new recipe exactly. But....then I don’t know what happened ... partway through I realized that I had inadvertently doubled the amount of lemon. That meant that I would also have to reduce the water and hope for the best. So, I decided to just keep going and see how it would turn out. With great trepidation I tried the finished product expecting it to be way too lemony. In fact it was quite good. I added some olive oil which was not in the original recipe but I think makes it taste better. And now I'm happy to say that my hummus mojo is just fine thank you.
Fantastic Lemon Hummus
- 3 Cups cooked Chick Peas (how to cook beans from scratch click here)
- 2/3 Cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1/3 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup Tahini
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pop the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and water into a food processer and puree for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the tahini and blend for about another 2 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and season with salt and blend again for a minute or so.
- Refrigerate and enjoy! Keep in a sealed container for up to one week in the fridge. Freezes well.
When life gives you lemons make hummus!