This is my most requested recipe, and it is no surprise why. Macaroons are not only rich and chewy deliciousness, they are also naturally gluten free and (big secret)….. they are EASY to make. When my husband brought them to work his colleagues asked if the recipe was on the blog. So, for them and for the many others who have asked, here it is.
I use organic coconut because dried fruits are often treated with sulphur dioxide as a preservative. The US National Institute on Health, amongst others, tells us that sulphur dioxide can cause asthma is some people, and the Livestrong foundation goes further, saying that it can be a contributing factor in life threatening allergies and can even increase your risk of certain cancers. I avoid it.
In Canada sulphur dioxide must be listed with the other ingredients so just check the packaging. In my experience organic dried fruits are the way to go.
Rich and Chewy Coconut Macaroons
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unsweetened dried coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl whisk the eggs until well beaten.
- Mix in the vanilla, sugar and, salt. Stir in the dried coconut until well mixed.
- Place small mounds (about 1 tablespoon) of the batter on the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown about 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, if you can wait.
Can be stored in an air tight container for several days or frozen for about 2 months. Not that they will ever last that long.