This is the perfect comfort food for long cold winter nights. Carrots have just the right amount of sweetness that couples with the ginger and curry to make my mouth water. This is a filling soup and can be served as a main dish with some yummy crusty bread or homemade croutons.
Making the croutons is easy. I use gluten free bread so we can all enjoy them and I don’t have to make two different batches and then remember which one is which. You can use any bread that you like. Just cut the bread into squares and sauté in a bit of butter and garlic for a few minutes. Delish.
Creamy Carrot Soup
- 2 lbs of carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 1 TBSP minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp or more (to taste) curry powder
- 4-5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup of cream or milk
- Heat ½ cup of stock in large pot over a medium heat. Add onions and ginger and sauté until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the stock and carrots. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup and then add the cream or milk. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a regular blender but be very careful and be sure to blend in small batches.
This will make about 10 cups and freezes well.
What is your favourite winter comfort food?