This is my vegetarian version of Sheppard’s Pie. It is a great choice for Meatless Monday, or any other day of the week for that matter. It strikes that fine balance between healthy goodness and yummy buttery potatoes cooked to a golden crisp. Ahhhh…. So good.
I really love that you can throw in any veggie that you have in the crisper, sitting on the counter or even better, fresh out of the garden. It's a new dish each time I cook it, reflecting the seasons and what's fresh and delicious. I have even added chick peas and lentils and replaced the potatoes with yams. Here's the basic recipe but be creative, change it up!
Garden Pie Casserole
- 6 large mushrooms chopped
- ½ head broccoli
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery or chard, chopped
- 1 packed cup of spinach or 2 large leaves chard, chopped
- 1 cup organic corn
- 1 cup peas
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 6-7 medium organic potatoes, mashed
- Thyme, sage, salt and pepper to taste
- Butter, olive oil or coconut oil for sautéing veggies
- Melt butter and sauté mushrooms, garlic, onion and celery (or chard ribs) for 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots and broccoli, if using chard add it now also. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add corn, peas, tomatoes and spinach, cover and cook on low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Season with thyme, sage salt and pepper and mix well.
- Put everything from the pan into a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes.
- Add some butter to the top and pop it into the oven. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.